Yep, summer is finally here!
Looking for some good summer reading? Thanks to Stacey Donohue, we got a list of great recommendations:
• Stacey’s annual ritual: rereading Richard Russo’s Straight Man, an academic comedy, before the start of fall term. Other academic comedies that amuse me include Moo, by Jane Smiley and Murder at the MLA by D.J.H. Jones
• For beautifully crafted short stories, read Jhumpa Lahiri’s Interpreter of Maladies or Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.
• More beautiful writing: Louise Erdrich’s The Plague of Doves.
• Memoir, in the right hands, can be a pleasure to read. I’d recommend Tobias Wolff’s This Boy’s Life; Mary McCarthy’s Memoirs of a Catholic Girlhood; Anne Lamott’s Traveling Mercies.
• Another ritual is rereading one of my all-time favorites, John Irving’s A Prayer for Owen Meany
• Summer plans: The stack of books next to the bed include William Deresiewicz’s literary memoir A Jane Austen Education; Heidi Durrow’s The Girl Who Fell From the Sky; Mary Gordon’s The Love of My Youth.
Also, in case you missed this announcement by Karen Roth, Director of Multicultural Activities, next fall, campus faculty in partnership with Multicultural Activities will offer Conversations on Books and Culture “for an occasional discussion of books representing various world cultures. Read the book ahead or just come and hear about it during the conversation.” The proposed schedule for next year includes these books:
October: Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros, conversation facilitated by Robin Martinez
November: House Made of Dawn by M. Scott Momaday, conversation facilitated by Neil Brown
January: Book Thief by Markus Zusak, conversation facilitated by Lura Reed
February: A Letter to My Daughter by Maya Angelou, conversation facilitated by Tina Redd
April: The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, conversation facilitated by Chris Rubio
May: Typical American by Gish Jen, conversation facilitated by Annemarie Hamlin
They’ll be dates and times for each conversation determined by the fall.
Have a wonderful summer!